Sunday, February 7, 2021

Sunday Funday #1 - Gardening!

I figured I'd start trying to stick to a few days a week where I would post about something following a certain theme. My working idea right now is that if I post on the following days, they will be these themes:

Sunday Funday: Anything fun that I've done recently or anything involving any of my hobbies

What's the Tea Tuesday: Talk about a yummy tea

WIP Wednesday: Any crafts that I am currently working on (there are many...)

Finish Friday: Any crafts that I have finished (full projects or sections of an SAL)

My goal is that this will motivate me to work on different projects, share my nerdiness, and continue to give myself an expressive outlet!

********************

So as the title of this post says...today is Sunday Funday and while most of America will be talking about the Super Bowl, I will be introducing you all to a rather new hobby that me and my daughter have picked up - gardening!

Shortly after my daughter came home from the hospital, she mentioned to me that she would really like to plant some seeds and even rattled off a whole list of vegetables that she wanted to grow. I found this funny because she doesn't even like to eat any vegetables but the idea excited her and my husband and I decided to go ahead an indulge her. My daughter and I had so much fun that it ended up sort of exploding and we now have a bunch of plants that we are tending to. 

I should mention that I usually do not have a green thumb at all BUT I am determined to make this work as best as I can. We planted several things last year but it was late in the season and we were not that successful but the one thing my daughter was proudest of was her very teeny tiny watermelon that she grew for her Daddy.

 
My daughter holding her tiny sugar baby watermelon in November 2020

This year, I wanted to attempt to do this right by planting at the more accurate times of year. Right now we have a tomato plant that survived from last year and are attempting to grow basil, yellow onions, sweet peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, butter crunch lettuce, green onions, Thai basil, chives, cat grass, recao/culantro (which hasn't been doing good no matter what I do), blue cornflowers, 2 lemon trees, and 2 quenepa/Spanish lime trees. Everything, except for the tomatoes and 4 trees, were started from seeds on January 7th this year. Then today we planted 2 little pots of broccoli raab!


    

I like to track their progress each month with photos so be sure to check back in March to see how they do!



4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that's a real watermelon, how clever is she? I like watermelon.
    I'm not at all green fingered, I like bulbs that you plant one year and they come up every year without any help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were surprised we actually got 1 to grow. She was very excited for her Daddy to try it! I wish she would let me do bulbs....but she insists she wants to see it grow from seeds!

      Delete
  2. Gardening is a real hobby for you to do together! I only have a tiny balcony to work on, but I tried my hand at some plants in 2019 and really enjoyed it. I dropped the ball in 2020 because all the garden stores went into lockdown right when I would have needed to buy things (or if I recall correctly, they didn't go into lockdown, but everone flocked there and I was trying to stay away from people...) so thanks so your reminder, I might try and get back into it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the garden stores here were one of the few types of stores that were allowed to stay open because they were deemed essential. Thankfully, most of the stuff we needed could be ordered/paid for online from the store's website and then we were able to utilize the curbside pickup option to avoid going into the actual stores! I sure hope the curbside options continue to be available in the future!

      Delete