Sunday, February 14, 2021

Sunday Funday #2 - Valentine's Day and Fairy Gardens!

Happy Valentine's Day! Unfortunately, I am working tonight and won't be able to spend it with my husband and kids but I made sure to leave some goodies out for them! I also was surprised with a very beautiful flower bouquet that my daughter picked out and a lovely card and gift from my husband!

 

My days off this week were pretty busy and I was quite tired since I had just finished my first week back on night shift. Unfortunately I was not able to post for WIP Wednesday or Finish Friday because of it but since I have a little down time at work right now (thankfully 9-1-1 isn't usually too crazy at night for my agency), I thought I'd go ahead and post for Sunday Funday!

This installment will introduce you to one of my daughter's favorite things lately.... fairy gardens! My Dad has, what we call, a fairy city on his little apartment balcony and my daughter absolutely fell in love with it. He has made 2 with her when he has come down to visit. 

The Fairy Camp Fire
with various succulents 

The Fairy Forest
with various succulents, money tree, and ginseng bonsai tree

at night with little fairy lights

Here are some close-ups of what's in the big Fairy Forest. Half features Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and the other half is a mushroom village. I also just realized that these photos were taken before we put the little pebble rocks to keep the soil from getting everywhere when we water the plants. 


 

  

Those were both made back in August and September of last year and they still look great and I haven't had to replace any of the plants yet!

A couple weeks ago, my daughter had to have a CT Scan with I.V. contrast to see how her lungs have healed after the SJS. She was extremely nervous about it and I made a deal with her that if she used her superpowers of bravery and strength, I would brave making a fairy garden with her. I took her to our local fairy garden store and Home Depot to pick out fairies, houses, and plants. This was the first one I would be making alone with her and I was nervous because my Dad sets a high bar. 

The Fairy Neighborhood

with succulents and a mini croton

The Fairy Neighborhood now resides outside on the patio next to the Fairy Forest and we will need to make another rainbow bridge so that the fairies can visit between the different areas, like they can from the forest to the camp fire! Her imagination always astounds me!


She did end up picking out so many little plants that we ran out of room in the actual container for a few other tiny houses we had. So instead we made tiny planters to keep inside the house. 


Overall, I had fun making these with her and I love watching her come up with different stories of what the fairies are up to each day!

If you are interested in fairy garden shops, these are the 2 that we purchase from. They both have online ordering options as well. 1 is local for us so we also go in person but I like both stores' options!




6 comments:

  1. Very very beautiful and thoughtful surprises. Happy that I found out your blog. Will go through the posts one by one.

    If you are interested in embroidery do have a look at my blog

    www.shamiatcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fairy Gardens are a lovely idea. You made a really good job of yours.
    During lockdown, local families have been making a Fairy Village in the woods near us. Lots of little houses and signs appeared over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and that is such a cool idea! I would love to see something like that around us!

      Delete
  3. I had never heard of fairy gardens before, but they seem like such a cute and fun idea! Glad to hear you had fun making one with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a fun little project but they can become a little pricey sometimes but spending the money on it was worth it for the smile and fun it brings to my daughter!

      Delete